Whether you consider yourself a neat freak, slightly cluttered, or a total slob, you can’t deny the fact that there’s a bit of catharsis that comes along with having a clean living space. In fact, so many people appreciate that simple pleasure that they’d rather have a tidy house than hot sex (though one can lead to another).
1. CLEANLINESS IS CLOSE TO GODLINESS, I GUESS.According to a survey of 1,000 people by Decluttr, a whopping 44% of participants said they’d much rather have a clean house than sex. Not only that, those same people believe that having a clean house was more important to the overall health of their relationship than sex is. Huh, go figure.
2. IT GETS CRAZIER. For those participants who said they valued cleanliness more than sex, they also admitted that they’d literally rather live with their parents again than have to live in a dirty house. That’s a pretty strong statement, for sure.
3. IT’S NOT ALL BAD—CLEANING CAN LEAD TO A HEALTHIER SEX LIFE. This preference for a clean house isn’t an entirely bad thing. Half of the respondents said that they were way more likely to be into the idea of having sex with their partners after they’ve cleaned up. In fact, 60% said that a clean, organized house made them way more likely to be in the mood anyway.
4. THERE’S AN EXPLANATION FOR SUCH A STRONG RESPONSE. According to Dr. Karyn Shanks, it’s hard to ignore something that’s right there in our faces. “Clutter commands our senses—we can’t help but see it, possibly trip over it, and not see what we’re looking for,” she explained to mindbodygreen. “It creates distraction that draws us away from the tasks we want to complete, from focused contemplation or creative inspiration. … The sensory impact of clutter drives stress (think overwhelm, anxiety, and higher cortisol levels) by overwhelming our senses, making us less useful for other tasks. It can create anxiety and confusion, causing us to lose things but more importantly, lose our energy.”
5. BOTTOM LINE? CLEAN UP—IT’S GOOD FOR YOU ALL-AROUND.Whether or not you’re in a relationship and wanting to up your chances of getting laid, there’s no denying that cleaning up your living space can have positive effects on your mental and emotional well-being too. What do you have to lose?